The school year is just underway, and it started with a nice BOOST for students and teachers alike, with distribution of funds from the inaugural BOOST Bash to classrooms just prior to the beginning of the year.
In March, the BOOST (short for Bringing Optimism & Opportunity to Students & Teachers) committee held its inaugural BOOST Bash, with more than 300 community members attending. The event was a huge success, with net proceeds of $54,170.74. Through the recent distributions, every teacher and student in the district was directly impacted.
Teachers were given the opportunity to request funds for specific projects, and distributions occurred during the summer, coordinated by a selection committee composed of teachers and BOOST committee members. Some of the funded projects include:
• Field trip to the Science Center of Iowa (3rd grade)
• Field trip to Living History Farms (5th grade)
• Trip to the state capitol (seniors)
• Graphing calculators (high school math)
• Flexible seating for enhanced student engagement (several classrooms)
• Clothes Closet for job interviews (high school)
• Supplemental reading materials/libraries for foreign languages (high school)
• Camera & lens for high school yearbook committee
• Wireless classroom headphones (1st grade)
• Enhanced reading resources (all grades)
• Guidance digital resources (middle school)
• Printing press (high school art)
• Enhanced P.E. activities/supplies (HS and MS)
• Nursing skills mannequin (high school CNA classes)
In addition to the specific project allocations, every teacher received funds toward their classroom. Additional funds have been reserved for projects during the school year. For a full breakdown of the allocations, go to the BOOST website at www.boostgreenecountyschools.com
The BOOST committee again thanked the community for coming together to show such strong support for the Greene County School District. Please mark your calendars for the second BOOST Bash, on March 30, 2019. In the meantime, check out the BOOST website and like the BOOST Facebook page (www.facebook.com/BOOSTGCIA) to keep updated as the event gets closer.