Greenbrier Church to mark building’s 125th year

Greenbrier United Methodist Church

All members, past and present, and friends of Greenbrier Church are invited to celebrate the church’s 125th year Sunday, June 25.

The church will have its regular worship service at 9 am, with a presentation by the Carol (Deal) Eilers at 10 am about their mission trip to Africa.

A picnic dinner will be served at noon, with the church providing burgers, potato salad, chips, cake and beverages. Person who are able are asked to bring a covered dish to share.

The Greenbrier United Methodist Church was first established in 1879, with services held at the No. 5 Greenbrier center school. In the spring of 1892 a subscription list of donors was started, and the $2,000 needed for the wood frame church was raised. The church was dedicated Aug. 21, 1892, and remains in use as a church today. The church has also served as a gathering place for Farm Bureau, Grange, and 4-H meetings and other community events.

Persons who want more information about the June 25 celebration can contact Karen Lawton at dklawton@netins. net, or send a text message to 641-431-0486 or 515-370-3891. RSVPs from those planning to attend will be appreciated. The church is located at 2203 J Ave (County Road P-14) north of Bagley.

Print or share article:Print this pageEmail this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook