Land owners, farmers reminded to alert NRCS about land transfers

Area farmers and landowners are reminded that when working with the local Farm Service Agency office to transfer land ownership, change operators or a corporation, LLC or partnership, they should visit the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) office, or their contract payments may be in jeopardy.

“Any time there is a change in the control of the land under contract, the contract holder must complete paperwork at the NRCS office to transfer control to the new owner or operator,” said Jon Hubbert, assistant state conservationist for programs.

Landowners must complete Form NRCS-CPA-152 Conservation Program Contract Transfer Agreement within 60 days of the ownership change or land transfer. If not, NRCS will not be able to make contract payments and the contract holder may be liable for financial damages and improper payments, he said.

“Most land transfers are completed by March 1, so this paperwork needs to be completed at the NRCS office by May 1 or earlier,” he said.

Persons who have concerns about their contracts can call or visit the local USDA Service Center.

Print or share article:Print this page
Email this to someone
Tweet about this on Twitter
Share on Facebook